From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2013 09:53:52 -0500
I agree with Phil here.

I had an R7 in my back yard for about 10 years, and loved it.

It was ground-mounted on a fiber-glass pole with the base being about 8 feet
off the ground, and I only used the counter-poise rods that were provided as
the radials.

Back then, of course, I didn't understand basic antenna theory as well as I
do now, but I did a great deal of DX with that antenna, especially on 17,
20, and 30 meters.

Of course, the antenna was not as good for shorter-distance work, but it was
sure fun to use when I was trying to chase DX with a somewhat meager antenna
set-up.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ