From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 02:10:18 -0700
well I can't for the life of me think which "law" you might be breaking.
We can all talk to cuba, china, other communist regimes so that's not an
issue...if north korea has a law against amateurs receiving or sending
information in and out of their country, well, that's their law not ours and
you can't be said to be breaking another countries laws when you reside in
your own country and are not breaking any of your own laws.
RF travels everywhere and not even the north koreans can effectively keep
all stray RF out of their boarders...so the answer to your question, is no.
I doubt North Korea is a member of the ITU, so there likely isn't any
standardization for licensing or operating procedures.
Also, North Korea is terribly bad for sensorship and they're not likely to
allow any foreigners to operate amateur stations on their soil unless
specifically approved by the government.
Something that would likely take decades to accomplish, by which time the
operator would likely have died of old age or boardum.
There is always the risk of being suspected of spying or of passing
government info on as well, which would mean any amateur operator would be
risking his or her safety or life by operating there.
Remember, its a dictatorship without laws to protect citizens, nevermind
foreigners.
73
Colin, V A6BKX