From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2015 19:44:44 -0400
I am not reverting the Dell desktop to Windows 7, but I might not run
logging software on it.
I have been using several USB-to-serial adapters made by Gigaware, bought at
my local Radio Shack while that existed. There is new driver software for
those adapters on my Windows 7 computer, but it fails to install. This is
probably a good thing. According to a posting on IFamilySoftware.com,
newsletter 37, Prolific (the company that makes some of the chipsets that
are used) found that their chips were being cloned in China and selling for
a lower price. All USB devices carry a vendor ID, as well as their class and
other capability information. These knock-off chips identified themselves as
Prolific. Prolific found a way to identify genuine chips and created a
driver that disables USB-to-serial adapters that are not manufactured by
them. I am not totally sure about this, but this seems to be the driver that
I am getting with Windows 10, and it also affected people under Windows 8.1.
So the adapters that worked for me on the desktop while it ran Windows 7
fail to start when run under Windows 10. Apparently, if I want to use this
computer for logging and other functions under Windows 10 I need to buy two
or more of these cables. I know that FTDI has the best reputation for these,
but they have had some cloning episodes, too.
These wires in our wireless shacks!
Other than the serial port fiasco, Windows 10 is working pretty well for me.
Manually entering the frequencies into N1MM+, I made 115 QSOs and over 7,000
points in the NA QSO Party yesterday. Narrowly missed working KW3A again.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com