From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2014 11:36:28 -0330
Hi all:

Well got some decent news this morning from the 102 guy in FLA, NC4L. My VFO problems are due to an actual mechanical issue.
In other words, when I 1ST got my 102 in December of 2011, due to the fact that it wasn't packed properly, the smack that drove the VFO knob into the cabinet, flattened a couple of bearings between the bearing races.
This is noticed when I turn to a certain  frequency, the VFO will pull one way or another and the only way to fix this is to get a hole new VFO assembly which would be very costly.
So I can use the TXIT/RIT controls to off set this or seek out the remote VFO option. So from the recordings I've sent him, audio wise and drifting wise, the 102 has a clean bill of health.
I wrote him back on the tube issue and I'm waiting for his reply. He didn't want the radio to come back as the bumping etc might do more harm then good on the VFO.
So I'm going to order another set of tubes anyway and seek out a remote VFO and for a total cost of about 4 or 500CAN, this should be a much lesser cost of sending the rig to NC4L, paying for his time, his parts and living with out my radio for 3 or 4 months.
I know you might say to your selves, Jeez, that doesn't sound very good at all but the fact is it won't get worse and risk shipping it could make everything worse by the risk of pissed off minimum waged workers throwing a 60LBS box around.
Sure I could insure it but ya know what? I can't get the 102's replacement for 8 or 900 bucks canadian. I could get something used of course but then I'm back in the used market and more risky shipping damage. If a new rig is being shipped, then the store covers your backside.
I should have filed a claim with Canada crash in the very beginning and took the 1000 insurance value but I can't help but wonder if the alternative would have been the same result. LOL I'll never know. LOL
Also I really don't like what I'm hearing from new rigs audio wise in QSOs and from the receiver noise except for Steve's, KW3a's 590 and that's probably the mic. On the receive side, locations, antennas and over all conditions would play a big roll in the receive and a 590 in my shack might be totally different. I may put 1 on the card for a demo purpose and then send it back or see if some one has one locally to try.
That being said if absolutely have to get something down the road, I would pay for the TS-590 and shed a few tears over my 102, simply because the 590 has that much of an accessibility stand point.
The new Icoms and Yaesus are definitely not in my future.

73:
Mike VO1AX