From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:22:59 -0500
Hi RJ,

What do you want to do with Ham Radio?  What license do you intend on
obtaining?

If you want to work the high frequency bands where you could possibly talk
to other countries, you will need  to live in a place where you can put up
antennas outside.  There is not enough room inside for these type antennas
and it is not safe to be that close to the antenna if using 100 watts or so.
You can make wire antennas fore these bands for $40 to $50 depending upon
how much coax you will need and how many antennas you might want.  A
transceiver that will cover the high frequency bands may cost anywhere from
$500 and up for used equipment.

If you are intending on working only locally through repeaters on VHF and
UHF with a hand-held type radio, then you can get a new radio for under
$100.  Depending upon the type of building materials used in your building,
you may or may not have trouble from inside the building.  The distance to
the repeaters will also be of concern.

  Your question is to broad.  Tell us more about what you want to do and
something about your living arrangements, can you put antennas outside what
floor do you live on if an apartment, etc.

Be more specific and we can be more specific in answering you.

Howard Thomas