From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2014 23:15:00 -0600
Tom,

I saw my first ham stations, a DX60 and the HQ129X receiver over at a
friend's house whose older brother repaired televisions and was into ham
radio when I was age ten.  No, actually, I was about 7 the first station I
saw but I didn't understand what it was for even though the guys there tried
explaining it to me.  At age ten, I wanted to go into electronics after my
friend's brother let me watch him in his work room and took me on house
calls to repair televisions.  But a few months later, my father died
unexpectedly and six months after that, my retinas began shredding into tiny
pieces.  I've had about 30 operations and medical procedures in my 62 years
and about 15 of those were on my eyes and almost all of those were before I
turned 12.  It was at the school for the blind I discovered they had a ham
stations and wouldn't you know it, another DX60 transmitter.  I dove head
first into learning the code and in less than a week, had all the numbers,
letters, and punctuation memorized and began practicing with others trying
to study for their test.  My Elmer told me I was copying 10 WPM when I
passed the novice code test and 20 WPM when I passed the general 7 months
after passing the novice.  I didn't take my advanced class until something
like 1977 or so so I lost half my phone bands due to incentive  licensing
which I'm still mad about to this day, haha.  I took my extra in the fall of
1978 and that was, of course, when you still had to send and receive 20 WPM.
I lost some time during college and early married life but I always had a
receiver somewhere and a friend's house which I could go and operate all day
so I've never been far from those dits and daws.  I worked a lot of phone
back in 1980 to 1982 on 20 meters and one year on SSB on 20, I worked 295
countries in that one year.  The wood pecker was alive and loud back then on
20 meters, too; some mornings during long path it completely blanked out 20
meters both phone and CW parts of the band.  I don't miss that Russian wood
pecker either but who knows what those HARP installations around the world
are doing to us now, smile.

Phil.
K0NX