From:
"Dr. Ronald E. Milliman]\\\\`" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:17:40 -0600
My impression is that the term PL was used in the early days when repeaters
became extremely populous and tone access was developed to minimize
interference among and between repeaters on the same frequencies, and also,
in some cases, tone access was even used to lock out people, e.g. some clubs
locked out non-members from accessing their private repeaters. At some
point, the term PL seems to have been replaced with CTCSS. Now, when I read
the descriptions for the many different transceivers, I am seeing the term
CTCSS, rather than PL. While the majority of repeaters have tone access,
some do not. Regardless, they are simply two terms for the same function;
that is tone access.

Ron, K8HSY