From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 14:33:10 -0600
I have a Gonset G76 that I will have on the air as soon as I acquire a power
supply for it.

For those who are wondering, the G76 is a transmitter and receiver in one
box. It's not really a transceiver, as the vfo for the transmitter and for
the receiver are separate dials.

It was made by a California based company in the early 60s, and was a
popular mobile rig for 80 through 6 meters.

It will run about 40 watts of carrier output, and is plate modulated with a
pair of 6dq5 tubes.

I'll use my 1969 vintage Science for the Blind audible tuning indicator to
read the meter during tune up.

While we haven't talked over the air yet, I have heard Howard using his
Viking Valiant. It really sounds good. I ran a Valiant for about a year
after passing my General in 1970.

If you have never laid hands on a Valiant, picture a metal box about the
size and shape of the largest microwave oven, that weighs a full 100 pounds,
probably a few more. It has 3 6146 tubes in the final, with 2 more in the
modulator. It will run around 120 watts carrier output on AM.

If I had the physical room for it, I'd put one on the air again.

Mike Duke, K5XU