From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2010 19:40:04 -0600
I worked another one of those weird DX special event stations on 20 this evening.  It was H74LEON which is in Nicaragua.  I remember years ago working a YS1 that had five letters after the number.  A friend in Colorado, who as a teenager lived in California, has always been a contester.  His call is K0CL and he and the club he joined in California used to operate XE2PTBC, whom I worked on 10 side band once many years ago before this guy and I knew each other.  We figured out we actually worked each other because it was on 10 meter side band and Larry was their only 10 meter side band operator.  He has a T shirt he wears with the call on it of XE2PTBC.  Larry and I figured out we had worked because he mentioned to me his T shirt with that call on it once and I said out loud, X E 2 Potatoes, Tomatoes, Broccoli, and Corn which was what Larry used during the DX contest when he gave their call sign.  Larry asked me how I knew those phonetics and I told him I had worked this guy who signed the call that way.  Larry said, "That was me."  I remembered all these many years later.  I was about 15 at the time and Larry was 19 years old.

As you read in the subject line, PJ7E is on 30 CW working a big pile up tonight.

Phil.
K0NX