From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:51:19 -0400
Hi Eric, it'll _have to be HRD, as Commander _only works with the
Yaesus/made for the 817, but may also work with 857&897.
You'll need a programming cable, and although Icom makes one, it's designed
to be used with several radios, sells for around a hundred dollars, and you
can do much better price wise for a cable designed to work with one radio at
a time.
if you want sirial look for the Radioshack Catalog Number 20-289
which is a scanner programming cable which will definitely work with the
703, series, the 706 series, and possibly the 7000 series/maybe even others.
as discussed and used by several of us earlier on the blind hams list.which
they were closing out at under five dollars, in may 2007. For a USB  cable,
the cheapest by a long shot I've found, comes from Valley Enterprises, an
Ebay Store./I bought one of their cables for the 817, for the same price as
the one for the Icom, and it works as advertised.  I plan to get one of
their Icom cables for my 706Original.  I'm sorry that I don't know the model
number, but do a search at that store, the cable is the same one for
programming the 706 series of radios, and sells via paypal for 19$s&Change
Delivered, USA.
The C-IV number is different for each series of Icom Radios/but the same for
each radio in that series.  You have to make sure the baud rate and civ
settings are configured for the radio in question, both with a computer and
with the Millenium QSYER.
By the way, I don't think that the Brit Keypad will work with the 703,
although check your manual, I've never had my hands on one of the Brit
Keypads.
HTH and enjoyed talking with you..