Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2015 20:56:28 -0400
There might be some very low-end stereo only receivers that you could get that don't involve menus.

But, a lot of the receivers--once you have somebody set up the menus--you can use with a remote control.  Most of the menu items will involve set-it-and-forget-it things such as setting small/large speakers for your front surround sound, setting up bass management with the appropriate cross-over frequencuies, etc.  As you go higher-end, you will have menus with more complexity especially if they have multi-zone capability as well as video up-conversion.

One receiver that might fit for you is the Onkyo TX8020 which has separate bass, treble and balance controls.  It is $175 at Amazon.
Here is an excerpt from the first review:

If you're looking to get the best possible audio performance on a limited budget-and something you can use to power audio from your TV, Blu-ray player, turntable, and CD player-then the TX-8020 is for you. Passing over the extras you don't need in favor of purely musical analog power, it remains versatile enough to serve at the heart of your home entertainment system. Onkyo's WRAT delivers 50+50 W of power, with discrete output stage circuitry and a high current, low-impedance drive to effortlessly handle the most demanding loads.The sound is characteristic of the veteran hi-fi brand, with lively dynamics, a sweet and natural mid-range, and accurate timing for all kinds of music. And just like the cool vintage receivers in its genealogy, the TX-8020 has bass, treble, and balance controls as well as speaker A/B posts for multi-room setups. Add a pair of bookshelf or floorstanding speakers of your choice, connect your media players and TV-perhaps including the DS-A5 RI dock with AirPlay-and be treated to the kind of full-scale, broad-spectrum performance a soundbar couldn't hope to match.

This location
is where I do a lot of casual listening while reading, etc. My input sources vary from FM (classical), Sirius, Roxu and CD.
Have not tried this with the optional unit for my iPad, but it is nice to have that feature for the future.

Have not done a direct comparison with the old Onkyo TX-8211 receiver this replaced but it seems to be very similar in design and sound quality.
This TX-8020 is more modern in as much as the remote also controls the bass and treble, they are digitally encoded rather than using a potentiometer (good).
The TX-8020 also has a digital readout for volume level as opposed to a rotating knob with a painted indicator as on the old receiver. In that regard please
understand that the indicated number for volume is NOT an absolute value of the percent of output power. I think the previous reviewer did not understand
exactly how volume controls old and new work, this one is digital and fairly linear. The older designs were analog and used a potentiometer, which is usually non linear.
At any rate, 50 watts is 50 watts, the TX-8020 is every bit as powerful as my old Onkyo rated at the same power, they both are just as loud.

How does it sound? It sounds very similar to the old receiver it replaced, the only notable difference is in how the tone controls work.
This has a "direct" control which cuts out the tone circuitry, the old one did not. Doesn't mean much to me in my setup but might be
useful if you are running a subwoofer and don't need any compensation for the mains as it offers less sound coloration.
The old TX-8211 had Onkyo's infamous version of "loudness" compensation which stunk! This has no such "feature", no loss there imo.
It might be useful to note that the bass compensation on the new TX-8020 seems to have a lower roll over point which works fine for my Klipsch speakers.
If you have really small speakers you might want something with more dramatic bass enhancement.

Overall, of the four very similar Onkyo receivers I have owned all sound quite similar (no surprise there). fyi, one is starting to have problems with
the old style mechanical relays for the speakers (TX-8211), one I sold, one I gave away to a inlaw, this one is a keeper.

This is a good investment for someone looking to power reasonably efficient speakers in a small room. It is intended, for the money, to provide clean
distortionless sound for those caring to listen closely to a musical performance. While Iit is not the greatest HiFi component I have ever owned,
it probably has the best sound per dollar of any receiver out there today.

One last word for the uninitiated, there is a competing receiver by Sony which claims 100w per channel and is about 50 bucks cheaper.
I have not tested that, but the Sony is an IC based amplifier rather than using discrete components and a large power supply as does this Onkyo.
Would not be surprised to find out that the TX-8020 plays louder in the real world and sounds much smoother. But again, have not had
the opportunity to do such a hands on comparison.