From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:55:57 -0500
    Ron:

As a developing contester of sorts, I feel the need to respond to your
arguments here.

Although there certainly are a number of contesters who do exactly what you
say (operate with the highest possible power and severely-splattering
signal)  with little regard for others, I have actually found most
contesters to be quite polite.  If polite is an overstatement, let me just
say that the majority of contesters I have run into have been quite
considerate, and have been very willing to step aside from a pile-up while
others like myself with lower power and rather modest antennas make our
contacts.

If this was not the case, I don't think I'd be making the scores I'm making
when I do engage in the various contests that I'm interested in.

In addition, I think it would be an absolute shame if contesting was
abolished.  It has been a key mechanism in increasing the activity on the
ham bands, and promoting interest in at least the HF aspects of the hobby as
well.  Just think, for example, what Field Day has done for us over the
years!

All of this brings me to my ultimate point:  Don't eliminate contesting;
it's akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater!  If we want to make
things better during contest periods, let's do the self-policing and
internal enforcing of best practices and band plans that we hams are
supposed to be able to do among ourselves.

73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ