From:
Darrell Shandrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:30:29 -0700
Hi Tom,

Handiham is not a Federal agency, and in any event, if not legally, everyone
has a moral, ethical obligation to be as accessible to us as humanly
possible.  When it doesn't happen, well, then, I'm all over it.  When I go
to a new doctor's office, I expect their staff to assist me with any
paperwork.  I don't have the resources I can or want to spend to bring along
someone else.  I've had one doctor's office try to get out of this; I didn't
succeed in convincing them otherwise, until I promised that I'd contact the
attorney general, the media, file lawsuits under the ADA, etc.  Suffice it
to say, I did get proper accessibility when I arived there.  Inaccessibility
is unacceptable.  I don't expect the world, but I do expect a reasonable
effort to be accessible.

   Ultimately, Handiham is a good solid organization and I'm hopeful the
right things will be done.  When I have enough time, I'll give them a call
to see about joining again and look forward to doing so.