From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 06:55:46 -0600
I ran three versions of a long wire antenna from an apartment for several
years.

The first wire was about 50 feet long, the second was nearly 100 feet, and
the third was an end fed zepp for 80 meters, which was 135 feet long.

In all cases, the far end of the antenna was supported by getting a rope
over the highest possible tree branch, while the house end of the antenna
was attached via a small eye-bolt and insulator under the eve of my second
story apartment.

The feed line for the long wires was simply more wire which was attached on
the antenna side of the supporting insulator on the house end of the wire.
In my situation, this was never more than 10 or 15 feet, as the radio and
tuner were very near the window. The end of the wire can be connected to the
long wire terminal of the tuner, or to the center pin of the so239 coax
output connector. If you don't want to use a pl259 for the coax socket
connection, a banana plug will fit nicely into the center of the so239, and
will not render it useless for other antennas later on.

For such a setup, you do indeed need a tuner, along with a very good ground,
or a counterpoise. The best counterpoise is a 1/4 wave of wire for each
band, but you can use one counterpoise for most bands, especially if it is
cut for one of the lower bands.

Some of the newer external automatic tuners from MFJ and LDG will tune the
end fed random wire on most bands, but I wouldn't depend on the internal
tuners for this antenna. They will either not tune it at all, or they will
melt down, leaving you with an expensive repair job.

The end fed zepp is essentially a half wave of wire that is fed at one end
by one side of a length of open wire or 450 ohm ladder line. The end of the
half wave is connected to one side of the feedline, and both sides of the
feedline are connected to the balanced terminals of the tuner. Avoid feed
line lengths of 1/4 or 1/2 wave length.

The empty side of the ladder line acts as a counterpoise. This antenna tuned
and performed very well for me on all hf bands excluding 17 and 15 meters. I
could have played with the feed line length, and probably caused it to tune
okay on those bands too.

While I liked the end fed zepp, it is fed at a very high impedance, high
voltage point. This means that some of the smaller low end tuners won't
handle this antenna at the 100 watt power level. While in the apartment, I
was never running more than 25 watts, so that was not an issue for the
smaller mfj tuners. But use a tuner with a high power rating if you are
planning to run 100 or more watts. I doubt most automatic tuners will tune
the end fed zepp. Otherwise, it's a good, often overlooked inexpensive
multiband antenna solution for some restricted situations.

Mike Duke, K5XU