From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:53:57 -0600
most home audio amplifiers are fine down to four ohms.
If you can find the manual for your sherwood, it'll let you know what the
minimum impedance load should be per channel.
Its an interesting fact that speakers rated at 8 ohms often check out with
an ohm meter at an ohm or two less then their rated impedance.
Sometimes this is because while in operation, they are rated at 8ohms or
show an 8ohm load to the amplifier, but when nothing is being sent into
them, they are slightly less.
Then you get crap speakers that are rated at 4 or 8 ohms, and show a 32 ohm
impedance...I bought a 12 inch sub rated at 1000 watts from a liquidation
depot and when i finally got my ohm meter and tested the impedance of the
speaker, it showed 32 ohms....not terribly good for a 1000 watt car
amplifier rated at 4 ohms.
I guess that's what happens when you only pay 15 bucks for such an item.
73
Colin, V A6BKX