From:
Eric Oyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 2016 23:15:58 -0700
ok.
here is what I found so far where I can build my own for cheap.

processor: $9 chip computer (with 4 GB of ram, 1 GB internal storage, USB 3.0 ports, Wi-fi, bluetooth and installable Linux OS). note the price: $9. That is just retail. Also, this is a full Intel cpu unit, not an ARM device which the current Braille Sense U2 uses.
Li-ion Battery (12V 1.5 Ah): 30
QWERTY style keyboard with USB port: $19. I will assume that a similar braille keyboard will be close to this)
A standard wall wart (12 VDC 1 Amp): $5
3-d printed plastic case (about $15 for a single unit, less if mass manufactured)
9 in 1 memory card interface with 3 additional USB 3.0 slots: $15
7 port USB 3.0 hub for additional ports (internal and external): $30 (fry's electronics)
32 braille cells: approximately $25 per cell (this is a correction based on info found here: https://www.resna.org/sites/default/files/legacy/conference/proceedings/2009/TechnologyCognitiveSensory/Matheson.html).. The cost for 32 such cells is $800.

all of the above are retail prices. consider that actual cost of manufacturing on a mass production scale is about 30% of the above figures. Even at that, the cost of producing a single unit for myself is still less than $1200. account for actual cost of manufacturing, and it comes down to less than $600 per unit cost. the cost per cell could be lowered significantly if robot assembly was used in place of people at individual workstations. That would reduce the cost per unit cell from $25 to $5 per cell. even accounting for minimal markup due to shipping, distribution and other overhead, the cost of a unit for an individual would cost about 1/3rd as much as it does now (and that is using the parts I specified above). so, ethically, there is no reason to be charging such amounts as $6,000 per unit. please note the cost of the operating system for this: $0. That is because its freely available and open source. That means the TCO to the user is considerably less. Also, Linux has BUILT in facilities (modules) for interfacing with many devices, including braille interfaces. ABout the only other OS I know of that has this built in is OS X. forget Microsoft, their so-called accessibility is an afterthought and only minimally usable on some of their products.

so, my previous statement was a bit low balled, but it's still in the realm of realism. btw, the cost of the ARM CPU device is a lot more expensive than the above stated chip computer (that is a kick starter project). There is also an alternative called raspberry pie which is also about $50 and also has Linux. There is a project underway to make an accessible version of linux for it, so expect this device to become usable for us in the near future.

anyway, you get the idea that it should be considerably less expensive to purchase a braille note taker than it is. Like I said: price gouging on the government tit.

DE n7zzt Eric