From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2014 19:07:05 -0500
All:

Here's the updated N3FJP software info again.  I copied it onto the
clipboard, and pasted it into a message as Bob suggested.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Hi Gang,

It's been full throttle here at N3FJP headquarters!  I have lots of updates
and information to share, so please sit back, relax, grab a cup of coffee
and read on!

This e-mail covers:

Amateur Contact Log 5.0 is Now Available!

New Versions of All Contesting Software are Now Available!

CW Encouragement for the CW Challenged (including me)!

Side by Side Comparison of a Ground Mounted Vertical to a Dipole.

QRZ Image and Bio Look Up Tutorial

Amateur Contact Log 5.0 is now available!

AC Log 5.0 enhancements include:

- Band map DX spotting zoom scale and rig tracking features added (detailed
with tutorial here:  http://www.n3fjp.com/news/news2014-11-28.html).

- QRZ Callbook image and biographical display on call tab (requires QRZ
subscription, but I think it is well worth it!).  You'll find a tutorial
below.

- LoTW identification of DX spots (Click LoTW and then the command button
that says "ID LoTW Users on DX Spots" to enable).

- Ability to save current rig settings from Rig Interface form (will be in
the contesting software in future releases too).

- Ability to adjust CW character spacing for PC generated CW (please use
generously for us CW challenged folks!). :)

- Frequency privileges display form remembers last license class selected on
next display (will be in the contesting software in future releases too).

- Ability to disable Watch List form display on Call tab (click File > Watch
List to adjust your Watch List alert settings).

- Ability to disable list matches on Country field tab for user's country,
to speed tabbing through the Country field (click Settings > List Matches
for These Fields with Tab to enable).

When you upgrade, please be sure to follow these upgrade steps for AC Log:
http://www.n3fjp.com/upgradestepsaclog.html

As always, upgrades are free to registered users. Of course, this includes
our N3FJP Software Package users!

New Versions of All Contesting Software are Now Available!

New versions for every contesting program (now totaling more than 80) are on
the website!  These first three upgrades are new to all the software:

- Band map DX spotting zoom scale and rig tracking features added.

- Spot last button to easily post DX spots on main form (to the right of the
Clear button).

- Ability to adjust CW character spacing for PC generated CW (please use
generously for us CW challenged folks!). :)

These enhancements were already in the last release of the major contesting
programs.  They are now in all the contesting software, including all the
state QSO party programs!

- Addition of Super Check Partial, which can either be displayed in the
Possible Duplicates window, or on a separate floating form.

- Dynamic scale resizing on band map form reflecting range of actual posted
DX spots for a given band.

- Option to display band map automatically on start up.

- Resize the main form and the individual controls will reposition after you
complete your mouse move.

- Your customized main form dimensions are saved on exit.

- Press Ctrl F to display a small form to quickly change your rig's
frequency, band and mode. This form can optionally be set to display on
start up from the rig interface form.

- Pressing Ctrl W displays the CW setup form as always, but now, you can
also press Ctrl > Shift W to display a tiny version of the form showing your
F key strings. This form can optionally be set to display on start up from
the CW setup form.

- Press Ctrl > Shift C to display the bearing as a compass point as you type
the call.

- Additional DX spotting filtering option to block calls that would be
identified as duplicates (Was this ever useful during Sweepstakes and CQ
WW!).

CW Encouragement for the CW Challenged (including me)!

Even if you aren't feeling the love for CW right now, or you think your copy
speed is too slow, I really encourage you to give CW contesting a try.
Believe it or not, you don't have to copy at 30 WPM to enjoy CW contesting,
or work guys at that speed!  No matter where you start, I guarantee that by
the end of the weekend, your CW proficiency will have improved!

My friend Dave, N3HCN and I decided to work the CQ WW CW contest last
weekend as a multi operator, two transmitter station, running 100 watts and
mostly wire antennas (http://www.n3fjp.com/antennas/index.html).  After
operating for a few hours Friday evening, most of the day Saturday and then
just me solo, sporadically on Sunday, we wound up with 943 Qs and 110 unique
DX entities!

But here's the thing.  Dave is a great CW operator, while I can barely copy
at speeds in the high teens, but during the time we were both operating, our
individual QSO totals and run rates were nearly identical!

For contests like CQ WW and others, where the exchange is basic, with DX
spotting, as you click and pounce, all the information is right in front of
you.  All you have to do is to make sure the call was spotted correctly
(many aren't so be sure) and be able to recognize your call when it comes
back.  Even if your CW speed is really slow, when you have the characters
you expect to hear right in front of you, you not only can copy them, but
you are increasing your speed and upgrading your CW skill in the process!

But don't just take my word for it.  I received several e-mails expressing
similar sentiments this week and I'd like to share portions of two of them
with you:

Larry, W1DYJ Writes...

Thanks for adding the Band Map with its very recent enhancements.  Without
them, I would have been lost.  Let me explain:

I decided six months ago to get back into CW, a mode I had not used since my
novice days 52 years ago!  I set a goal of entering the contest this past
weekend.  I'm a reasonably proficient phone contester, but I have never been
in a CW contest.  My code copying skills are now around 10 WPM, so I knew
the contest would be a challenge at best.

I arrived at my "little pistol" QTH in mid-coast Maine late Thursday after
Thanksgiving dinner.  The recent snowstorm had taken out power Wednesday
night so out came the generator.  It finally came back at 9 PM Eastern
Friday.  Unfortunately this meant I didn't fire up your logger until around
10 PM.    With this late start, I spent most of the time just listening to
get my mind around the rhythm of the exchanges and learning how to use the
Band Map and the CW "F-Keys."  This is the first time I've listened to CW at
30-35 WPM, so it was a bit intimidating!

I finally took the plunge Saturday morning around 9 AM.  It took a long time
for each Q as I listened far more than I hit "F4."  But slowly I figured out
the rhythm of a CW contest.  Although a small score of only 31K, it was a
blast and I think I actually like CW contesting better than phone!  Once I
zero beat my rig, everyone pretty much sounded the same - not like phone
contests where I often have a difficult time understanding the many "ESL"
hams.  AND CLICKING ON THE BAND MAP TO S&P WAS WONDERFUL!!!   Your SW made
operating FUN and easy.

- Larry, W1DYJ

Charlie, WA3PFA writes..

A couple of things struck me about the contest.

First, CW is alive and well. Big Time. I'm glad for that.

Second, I've never been involved in contests. Last time I was involved in a
contest was 1974, and I wasn't really paying attention. Working this contest
this weekend has changed my whole perception of propagation. I always
thought propagation was a narrow and intermittent phenomenon. Plus, I always
thought 40 meter DX was only for people with big fancy antennas and lots of
patience. This weekend I only operated an hour or two now and then, but 40,
20, 15 and 10 meters were jam packed with DX signals the whole two days!

I could plop down on 20 or 40, make a contact with one country, tune a few
KHz, make a contact with another country, tune a few KHz, contact another
country. Unreal! And then there's the spotting where you can zero in on
multipliers.

But my goodness, I contacted 20 countries on 40 meters in two days without
really working hard, and many more on 20 and 15.

So my new perception of propagation is that propagation is "in" far more
often than I had thought, especially on 40. It's just that when I'm on the
air, people overseas are asleep.

And it's very exciting when you call a station in a rare country or zone,
and hear your callsign coming back from a remote speck on the big, wide
world. My wife is not a particularly technical person, but she's amazed by
the whole thing - communicating with people in all these different countries
in a short period of time from our little ham radio station in the basement.

And thirdly, I am struck by the good manners. Oh, sure, you have the rare
station that tunes up in the blind, or sends a stream of dits while tuning
across the band, but no more so than we had in 1974. But what I'm struck by
is the patience of an operator who is calling CQ, maybe there's a small
pile-up, he hears me but doesn't have solid copy on me, and will try over
and over to get my callsign right. I experienced that many times during the
contest and I thought, how sportsman like. Those operators could easily have
moved on to another caller after the second try. And when a station calling
CQ responds to one station in the pileup, 99% of the other stations remain
silent to let the QSO complete. There are people from all over the world,
all walks of life in that pileup, but they all agree to back off and let
each QSO complete before calling again.

-Charlie, WA3FPA

Enjoy CW gang!  Learn CW now if you haven't already and jump into CW
contesting!  There's tons of fun to be had and you will be very glad that
you did!

Side by Side Comparison of a Ground Mounted Vertical to a Dipole.

I'm really happy with my wire antenna farm, but I've always wondered about
how well ground mounted verticals perform, so I decided to do a side by side
comparison, with and without ground radials, to my dipoles and loops.  If
you decide to install a ground mounted vertical, or you have one already,
you definitely want a LOT of ground radials!  All the details are here:
http://www.n3fjp.com/antennas/verticals.html

QRZ Image and Bio Look Up Tutorial

I am really excited about this new QRZ image and bio look up feature.  It
requires a QRZ XML subscription, but in my opinion, it is well worth it!
What a thrill to see the image of anyone you are working, who has uploaded
their image to QRZ!  Some of the images, particularly scenes from some DX
locations are breathtaking!

Implementing this new feature in AC Log 5.0 is easy.  To display QRZ images
or navigate to the QRZ bio information when you tab from the Call field:

-  Be sure your QRZ XML subscription is in good standing (QRZ only returns
the name after expiration).

-  Be sure your PC is connected to the Internet and that your Internet
protection software is allowing AC Log access to the Internet.

-  From AC Log's menu options click Callbook > QRZ Internet Lookup.

-  Check the check box that says Open Image & Bio on Call tab.

When you tab from the Call field, if the user has an image on QRZ, you will
see a form like this appear with the person's image and an option to
navigate to the bio page:

QRZImage.JPG

Otherwise, with the feature enabled, AC Log will navigate to the users QRZ
bio page.