From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:33:52 -0500
Kevin,

Unless the mobile antenna you are currently using is one of
those small ones that is about 20 inches tall, the reality
is that in order to fit the antenna inside the apartment,
you aren't going to get more than a DB or 2 of gain above
what you already have. Even then, you may have to sit the
antenna right on the floor to make it fit into the space
between your floor and ceiling.

There are a few 2 meter/440 antennas that are in the 5 to 6
foot range, but most of them are a full 8 feet or taller
before any kind of support is attached at their base.

If, as I mentioned above, the current antenna is one of
those short models that is about the size of a 2 meter
quarter wave, then try one that is about 3 to 4 feet tall.
This length gives you a half wave antenna on 2 meters, and
noticeably more gain on 440. All of the companies that have
been discussed recently on this list make various models
that fall into that size.

Mike Duke, K5XU