From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:47:09 -0800
I had to pick one message to reply to in order to give my thoughts on the
schedule so picked the last one I read.  I'm going to enumerate them below
just to keep my own thoughts clarified but I do have some opinions I hope
someone might care about.

1.  Is there any need for an argument about what radio really is.
Personally, I don't care for Echolink.  I have used and enjoyed IRLP because
to me, it still feels like I'm talking on my rig, not my computer.  That
being said, some may only have access to Echolink due to living arrangements
and they are welcome to get on it with anyone who wants to participate.  I
thoroughly enjoyed the day that I hooked up with David Wood in the UK on ten
meters and we chatted on CW for almost an hour.  I would love to do that
with more of you on the air.  There's still some magic about sitting behind
your mic, of your station, using an antenna you erected yourself and talking
to someone across the country or across the world.  for me, the computer
hasn't matched that yet.

2.  As far as stepping up to the plate, I am sitting here with an
operational station, linear available, and a 2 element quad on 20 meters.
If we could arrange a meeting at a time and on a day when I'm not working, I
would be glad to act as the West Coast relay.  If we could get one station
well equipped in the East and one in the Central U.S. we could make a very
good 20 meter net.  the ACB Service net used to do this on a regular basis
and I don't see why we can't.  There are still active nets on 20 that do
well.  By putting the nets on 40 or 75 and then moving them earlier in the
day so you guys in the East can hear each other, you virtually eliminate any
of us in the other half of the country.

3.   To somewhat reiterate what I said above, let's not start sniping at
each other over this.  It is supposed to be fun.  Remember?  Let's just keep
trying different things to see what works.  We all may be pleasantly
surprised at what does really work.

Take care for now all and very 73 from the Far Coast.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX