From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:24:29 -0700
no, the internet is not required to use DStar.  It is only required if you
wish to connect through gateways to other DStar repeaters and users...much
like IRLP in that one respect.
A DStar repeater can be used stand alone like any other repeater, except
it's digital, and allows for both voice and data transfer.  Very useful if
there is a large emergency and individual stations both mobile and handheld
need to be tracked and mapped so that the right assets can be sent to the
right places etc.  Also, your call sign and a user programmable ID message
are sent each time you key the mike, so it's yet another way to keep track
of stations during an emergency.
DStar can also be used on simplex just like regular analogue FM...with the
addition of data via RF.  So, you can send semi-secure messages that way and
get allot more words across in a much shorter amount of time compared with
someone speaking them, potentially making speech errors and then having to
repeat it all...
You also do not need to register with the DStar people to use your local
DStar repeaters, but if you wish to use the reflectors and connect through
gateways and so on, you have to be registered...which is a simple enough
process and there is no yes or no sort of game, you submit registration and
they register you as long as you hold a valid license.  Like Echo link in
that respect.
I don't much like the audio quality of DStar myself, but it's certainly a
viable method of communication no more prone to failure than anything else
is.
A DStar radio is as likely to break down or not communicate as a non-DStar
radio, and the same true for the repeaters themselves.
As for accessibility, that's not a difficult one to get around because you
simply program separate memory locations with the various gateways and
reflectors you want to use and the rest is automated.  It's no different
than talking on an FM radio once the various protocols are set up in the
radio.  Setting up those protocols is about the only inaccessible thing
about DStar for us.
The monopoly on DStar by Icom is a sore point for me as well, and there is
most definitely a little bit too much consumer marketting going on in the
upper teers of amateur radio and within circles of hams who have influence.
However, you don't have to like DStar, but at least understand it, and judge
it based on it's marrits and not just the fact that you don't like it, or
Icom or whatever the case may be.  If it's a matter of not liking DStar
because the radios that have DStar don't have voice chips, well, that's not
really a valid reason either because now your not judging DStar but your
judging the inaccessibility of the radio instead, which has nothing to do
with DStar.
Sounds like crap, but so does GSM and pretty much any digital cellular
telephone these days, and we all have one of those...and we all had one
before they became accessible to, so I don't get the big hate on for DStar.

73
Colin, V A6BKX