From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 23:58:14 -0600
why can't you just stick thatS9 antenna on the top of the taller poll and
then run a few discrete radials out from the bottom of the poll at ground
level? or use a good tuner and run a counter poise wire inside your unit.
seems that if there is already a poll outside, another 12 or 18 feet of
something sticking up shouldn't make that much of a difference?
seems like this s9 antenna would be light enough that you wouldn't need guy
wires either.
also, for a wire antenna, use insulated wire, that way no zapping if someone
touches it for a second or two while you happen to be transmitting.
why not throw something like a camelion multi-band antenna, or one of the
smaller multi-band bass antennas on top that have built in counter
poises...or something with radials...at 14 feet up, it's not going to be in
the way if you have horizontal radials say 7 ft long or something...space
them so that the 3ft space between the poll and the building doesn't come
into effect.
if this 14 foot tall post is well planted in the ground, which I suspect it
must be if it's 3 inch pipe, then you can probably stick something fairly
substantial on top of it without needing to guy anything.
a 50FT sloaper from the 14 foot height to the 6 foot height made from
insulated stranded wire and end fed, using the pipe as your ground/counter
poise should also work if you have a tuner. actually it would be slightly
more than 50FT if it drops by 8 feet along the way.  You could probably get
darn near a quarter wave on 80M, and i've used a quarter wave end fed wire
very successfully on 80/75M.
it'll also tune everywhere else too.

lots and lots of options here.
if management has no issue with you running wires from those posts, you
could really get something that will work...it'll be more or less an NVIS
style antenna on the lower bands, but will work well on 20 and above.
if your really concerned about height at the end post, strap a 10 foot piece
of aluminum tubing to it for a little extra height away from people and
such.
not at the top, but just strap a piece of tubing from the ground up using
the existing post, wich is obviously planted firmly in the ground with
concrete or  barried a few feet down.  It'll support aluminum tubing, and as
long as you don't try to over stretch the wire, it'll stand up pretty well.
i found the aluminum tubing is easily availible and pretty cheap.
73
Colin, V A6BKX