From:
Richard WEbb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:14:03 -0400
Hi folks,

tHe Iowa School for the blind, IBSSS or whatever they call it had a
club station in the 50's and '60's.  iN the '50's it was located in
the four story main building then moved to the boy's dorm.

IT was the host of the Benton county amateur radio club actually, and
their club station.  THey had a tri-bander on the roof of the main
building on the bell tower, an 80 and 40 meter dipole fed with a
common coax.

NOvice station consisted of an old National receiver and a transmitter
which was crystal controlled, not sure the make, but I remember
lurking as k0yl, then wa0dag and others operated the Collins kwm2 on
hf many an afternoon.

LEft the school for the blind in '68 and wasn't permitted to pursue
the hobby in any way, so didn't become licensed as I planned.  My dad
thought hobby radio was a silly thing, at least until all the truckers
started adding chicken band radios to their rigs, then he had to have
one of course.

73 de kb0ruu

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions