From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2016 19:32:23 -0500
Richard:

Let me try to answer your quiry here, which, I think actually contains two
questions.

Before I say anything, I should tell you that I use an MFJ 998 auto-tuner
with my TS590 and Ameritron ALS600 amplifier.

First, I really would urge you to use the amp enable in and out jacks on the
MFJ998 if at all possible.  I do this differently than you will, because I
have an ARB704 buffer box between my TS590 and ALS600, so I won't confuse
things further by giving you the details as to how that is done.

Keep in mind that the amp enable in and out jacks on the tuner invoke an
amplifier bypass circuit in the MFJ998 which is an additional layer of
protection, should you somehow inadvertently try to tune with a bad SWR and
too much power.  I am certain this has saved me from catastrophy on more
than one occasion.

Second, when I got my ALS600, I, too,  was concerned about whether or not to
worry about the ALC connection.

Based on the advice from some list members, and from MFJ Tech Support, I
have decided not to worry about the ALC.  In my case, I typically don't
drive my amplifier with more than 50 or 60 watts max, so I believe I'm ok
there.

I'll be interested in what others have to say.