From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 07:08:34 -0400
Tom -

The class of the field is the Sony 2010.  It's still generally regarded by
DX enthusiasts as just about the best radio of the past fifteen or twenty
years, but it's not cheap.  Expect to pay somewhere between $350 and $400
for a new one.  If you're into AM DXing, you'll also want some kind of loop
antenna.  RadioShack makes a moderately good one that's often on sale and
that can work either inductively or via a direct connection to the 2010's
external antenna jack.  There was information published on this list less
than a week ago about an even better inductive loop for not a whole lot more
money than the RadioShack model that's said to significantly outperform the
RS model.

I would not recommend the CC Radio.  It's overpriced, considering what you
get.  You'd be far better off with something like the GE Super Radio or one
of the following RadioShack models, which are frequently on sale for half
price.

The 2010 isn't stereo, either in its speakers or via phones.  The RadioShack
DX389 and DX399 radios are stereo via phones, which is very nice.  The 398
is a much better radio, but the 399, which I got on sale for around $70, is
amazingly fine for its size and price.  It's quite small--less than 5 inches
by 8 inches, runs on 3 triple A batteries, and has full coverage from the
low end of the LW band through the 10 meter band on AM, plus FM.  I've used
mine with the RS loop and really surprised myself with it.  Either the 398
or 399 would be a good choice, but nothing like the 2010.

And speaking of phones, try to pick up a pair of the RadioShack "titanium"
phones.  They normally sell for $40 or so, but are on sale at least three or
four times a year for $20.  At that price, they are absolutely the finest
headphone bargain you'll ever find.  These are great phones with excellent;
and very flat; frequency response.  Also, since they're very efficient, you
don't need much volume to really make them perform.  I use them for
everything, including reading Talking Books.

Grundig also makes some good units, but I have no experience with them.
Personally, I'd stay away from Sangean, but that's purely a matter of my own
belief about quality control.  When you read the really expert reviews of
DX-capable radios, Sangean is never mentioned.

The following link should take you to a wealth of information:

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_sort2.html

This is the Radio Netherlands radio shopping list by prices, but from there,
you can get to reviews, lists of features, technical specs, etc.  It's a
great source of information.