From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2015 16:35:56 -0500
	I haven't heard anything recently but I sure remember a
bunch of garbage that may have been coming from Cuba in the
Summer of 1972 or maybe 1973. It was brutal. As you tuned through
20 meters, you could hear one RTTY signal after another as if
somebody had a crystal calibrator that produced a mark and space
tone and amplified a huge passband that covered most of 20
meters. Every 4 or 5 KHZ was this digital-sounding signal using
FSK just like RTTY

	You could still hear hams talking over the racket but
folks weren't very happy to say the least.

	I guess it could have been coming from the Soviet Union
but at that time, they were stationed in Cuba big time and could
be as annoying as they wanted to be. What's somebody going to do?
Call the police?

	I heard that the US State Department filed an official
protest to the Russians and the jamming finally stopped. The
Soviets got hard to work on the woodpecker that we used to hear
in the later seventies.

	It's official bad behavior which has no scientific or
strategic use except to foul the air with junk so nobody else can
use it.

	Anybody can do that so it doesn't even seem clever, just
stupid and done only to pick a fight.

	There is something really childish about it, kind of
14.313 on steroids, sponsored by no less than governments who
want to be the sore-heads of the world because they don't know
any other way to be noticed. They aren't going to get anywhere
with this in the long run but they can sure be a royal pain in
the back side in the mean time.

Martin