From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:42:31 -0700
When I began D x ing in mid 1966, I immediately became interested in propagation.  Later, when I discovered I could D X even on 40 and 80, and to a lesser degree on 160, I became even more interested, and watchful, of band conditions and overall propagation.  I am now doing the same thing on 6 meters, 2 meters, and 70 centimeters.  However, tonight, once again, I tapped in on my Q S Y er, the channels I have program for W1AW, and discovered something really interesting.  I start on 15 meters due to almost no propagation worth much on 10 meters.  I had no W1AW signal on any band except for 80 CW and this was at 5:30 PM local mountain time.  40 meters, to my amazement, had no signal of W1AW at all, nor did any other band except for 80 meters.  Of course, sunset had already occurred so this was the advantage of 80 meters pulling the signal through but not hearing them even better on 40 meters, not to mention no signal at all, I found it quite interesting that W1AW was not heard for me on any band except 80 and it was Q5 pretty much the whole time I listened.  I tried 160 but of course I had no signal there either.  I do after 9 PM from W1AW when they are sending code practice and some nights, as I have reported, their 160 meter signal is Q5.

Phil.
K0NX