From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2013 11:56:04 -0500
The best of luck to all of the rest of you who are looking for work.
A friend of mine is working for Time Warner.  The brought in a Jaws wizard,
who is creating jaws scripts designed for her specific needs.  If one blind
person can do it, maybe other offices that use the same software can be
educated to the possibilities of what a blind person can also do.
If you are bi-lingual, they will trip all over themselves to employ you.
She got her job at age 62.
They didn't look at me, because I had no call center experience.
Nobody has ever gotten me a job, but those job finders can be very useful in
navigating the job sites.  They are generally inaccessible.  Often you have
to answer 40 questions or more, and one won't be coded right, blowing up the
entire effort.
I have had very good and bad experiences on Craig's list.
Personally, I am done with Social Work.  I don't want to spend another hour
in Children's court, testifying in hearings to terminate parent's rights.
Nothing good for anybody goes on out there.
I have to send homeless people to either hospital emergency rooms, or to
police stations, because their was no other shelter available, and they
can't be thrown out of those two locations.
I have absorbed other people's pain for 37 years, and my shock absorbers are
gone.
I am also tired of touchy feely social workers who become psycho-therapists,
so that they can barricade themselves against the realities of poverty and
the prices people pay for it.

I wonder how many Social Work schools operate food or clothing banks?
Ours here certainly don't.
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.

Sorry for the rant, I didn't know this would go in that direction, but that
is what a QSO can do.