From:
Mike Keithley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 13:55:36 -0700
Hi,

The manual shown in the message is for the ATOM200. The text below is for the ATOM1000, AND i think you'll find it more detailed.

An item not noted in the 1000 manual is that ATOM cannot be used to mimic an SWR meter connected to a tuner. The thinking was that since there would be a difference in RF voltage on a feed line with and without SWR, you would hear a dip in pitch at minimum SWR. In some situations this is true, but in most it isn't.

Audible Transmitter Output Monitor (ATOM) 1000 Instruction Manual

Description

ATOM is a simple tuning aid for blind or low-vision hams who cannot access an internal or external power meter. For stations that have initially been installed correctly, ATOM will give a recognizable audible alert if something is preventing a transmitter from putting out full power, and causes your CQ's to go unheard.  ATOM will catch most common oversights such as not setting VOX correctly or not activating an automatic antenna tuner, and also catch more serious problems such as damage to feedlines or antennas when the transmitter has circuitry to limit RF output due to high VSWR. If you cannot read a power meter or other qualitative means to know that output is being generated, use ATOM.  You'll find that ATOM gives you  a very information-rich indication of the RF activity on your feedline, building confidence that all is working as intended.

ATOM is not  an VSWR meter.   While such meters give you more information, they are also slightly more complicated to operate, and much more expensive.  Their capability is more than is needed to answer the question "is my transmitter continuing to work as well as it did when it was initially installed?"

ATOM is connected between the transceiver and feedline (or tuner, if external). It has two SO239 connectors, and either one may be used as the input.   When turned on, ATOM sounds a tone whose pitch is related to the transmitted power. Much information can be gleaned from its audible signals, such as how the power varies while an automatic antenna tuner searches for the best match. When there is no RF output, it clicks slowly so you won't forget to turn it off.

ATOM will work well with transceivers having built-in tuners feeding antennas such as G5RVs, or others with VSWRs less than approximately 4:1, or for use with remote antenna tuners connected to any type of antenna. It works between 1.8 and 54 MHz, at power levels from 1 watt up to 1000 watts.

When used with a remote antenna tuner such as an SGC234 mounted at the feed point of the antenna, ATOM  will emit a series of warbling tones while the tuner's program matches the 50-ohm coax to the transmitter/tranceiver. A steady tone is emitted once a good match is found, and subsequent transmissions on the same frequency will usually yield an immediate steady tone because the tuner will have previously memorized the best settings. ATOM can also be use with external autotuners in the ham shack, but these units usually make enough relay noise while working as to make for less need for it. However it might be enlightening when the tuner is trying to achieve a match close to its limits, the tuner gives up, and there's no output. You can also use the device to tune old tube rigs, but you'll need sighted help tracking plate current. You can insert ATOM in a line feeding input to a lineer amplifier, so you'll have a qualatative excitation indicator. For a discussion of power vs pitch, see the specifications section.

The circuitry inside ATOM senses the RF voltage on the feed line, and uses it to control a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO).  Unlike a VSWR meter, ATOM is responsive to both forward and reverse power, but still gives a very good idea of what is happening on the feedline. It is important to remember that a pitch for a certain power level is meaningless unless the feedline ATOM is monitoring is matched to 50 ohms. When a transmitter is matched to 50 ohms, it responds to one watt signals with  a buzz at approximately 30 Hz.  For a matched 1000 watt signal, the pitch is around 1KHz. The front end of ATOM is safe for RF voltages up to around 700 volts peak, so its 1000 watt rating is conservative.

Important warning: Always have ATOM connected to a feedline, whether it be to an antenna, external auto tuner or linear amplifier. If you don't terminate ATOM, an auto tuner in your transceiver will try to tune ATOM's reactive impedance as if it were the output load. This will produce high voltages, even at power levels like 25 watts. Beware!

The power switch is "on" when flipped towards the speaker grill and you hear slow ticking.  In normal use the 9-volt battery should last its shelf life.

How I use ATOM:

The rig in my station is a TS440SA feeding an SGC234 remote auto tuner at the end of a long wire. It works against the metal casing of the mobile home.

The supplied PL-259 coupler is used to connect one ATOM connector to my transceiver.

My feedline cable is connected from  the other ATOM connector to my remote SGC234 antenna autotuner.
The transmitter is set to the frequency I want to use, in the CW mode.

The Kenwood is set to work straight through (i.e., not using it's internal tuner).

ATOM is turned on,and there is slow ticking.

Transmitter power is applied. ATOM will emit a high-pitch tone. If it remains steady, the tuner is matched, and you're ready to go. If the tone takes on a warbling or variable-pitch aspect, the tuner is attempting to achieve a match, and the tone may cover a wide range of pitches but usually settles down to a steady tone within 10 to 20 seconds.

We're ready to go after we have a match, and ATOM can be turned off, which I recommend when using phone modes as its tone will get into the microphone. If I want to use SSB, I shift to that mode. ATOM's tone will show no power but will rise when I talk into the mic.

Changing the Battery

ATOM uses one 9-volt battery. It's time to replace it when the ticking stops. At this point, battery voltage is 6 volts. You will note that the device still responds to RF, but the volume is down, and tones for given power levels rise.

To remove the battery, orient the case so the plat side of the battery is up, and the two SO239 connectors are toward you. With your finger nail or a flat-bladed screwdriver, lift up on the end of the battery that is toward you. The battery will detach from the holder, and you can pull it toward you.

To replace the battery, align the small and large terminals of the battery holder to the large and small terminals of the battery. Patiently work the battery into the case cut-out, mate the two sets of terminals and slide them together. Turn ATOM on to hear the slow ticking.

Troubleshooting

This device is really very simple and not much can go wrong. But if you think the device is not responding as it should, you can try these things:

Make sure it's on! It's powered when the switch is toward the speaker grill and you hear the ticking.

Make sure it has a fresh battery. See the procedure above to change it. If you don't hear the ticking when you turn ATOM on, examine the mating of battery and holder. There should be a 1/4 inch gap between the battery and the plastic holder. If the gap is wider, the battery isn't mated to the holder.
If you have a signal source, set it to 1 MHz with an output of 1 volt. Connect the generator to either SO239 connector (the PL259 to BNC coupler is very helpful here). Turn ATOM on and note the buzz of around 20 Hz.

Contact Information

If you need to contact the manufacturer of this device, send email to [log in to unmask] or call 650-386-6286.

Specs

Tested frequency coverage: 500 KHz to 54 MHz. Responsive at 144 MHz.

RF power limits: 1000 watts CW, 1500 PEP for 50-ohm coax line with VSWR less than 4:1, 2000 watts on match lines of 1:1 VSWR.

Pitch range:  5 Hz (pulses) through several KHz (tones), depending on RF voltage
Pitch vs. feedline voltage (50 ohms):
0W, ticking at around 2 Hz
1W, 20 Hz
5W, 60 Hz
10W, 90 Hz
100W, 200 Hz
500W, 500 Hz
1KW, 1 KHz

Power: One 9-volt alkaline battery (included)

Battery Drain, no input signal: less than 2 ma.
with signal: 5 ma.
Battery expected lifetime with typical use: approaches shelf life

Input/output connections: SO-239 coax with BNC connections as accessories.

Dimensions: 1.2 x 2.4 x 4.4 inches die-cast box

Theory, and Word Description of Schematic

The transmitter's feedline is routed through ATOM's housing. ATOM then uses a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) U1 to generate an audible pitch proportional to the signal level on the feedline. ATOM's VCO uses an LM555 timer IC, U1, packaged as an 8-pin DIP.
The input and output SO239 coax sockets are grounded to the metal case. The minus side of the 9-volt battery is also grounded, and the positive side is fed through a SPST toggle switch S1 to the plus input of a 5-volt regulator IC (78-05). The negative input is grounded. The 5-volt regulated output terminal provides Vcc to the LM555 IC U1 oscillator and a diode biasing network. This terminal is also bypassed by a .1 Uf 100volt capacitor to ground.

Pin 1 of the VCO U1 (LM555) is grounded, and pins 4 and 8 are connected to Vcc. Pins 2 and 6 are connected together and to the timing capacitor C1, a 0.1uF 10% dip ceramic capacitor, whose other end is grounded. A 4.99K 1/4W 1% discharge resistor R2 is connected between pin 6 and the discharge pin 7. Pin 3 connects to a 32-ohm speaker (SPKR1), whose other side is connected to Vcc.
A jumper wire connects the center pins between the SO239 connectors and goes through a voltage divider of two 10PF, 1000-volt mica capacitors to ground. The mid-point of these capacitors goes through a 47PF, 300 volt mica capacitor to the anode of D1, a 1N4148 diode and the cathode of D2, another 1N4148 diode. The cathode of D1 goes through a 100K resister to pin 6 of the LM555 VCO. The anode of D2 goes through a 10K 1% metal film resistor to ground and through a 28K 1% metal film resistor to the plus 5-volt regulated line from U1.

In operation, the voltage voltage at the anode of D1 is slightly above the volgage on pin 7 of the LM555 chip so when C1 is charged above the voltage on pin 7, the system sends pulses to the speaker. Voltage on the feedline is divided and rectified by D1 and used to charge the timing capacitor C1 by sending current through resistor R1. When RF is present, this process repeats itself continually. Each time U1 cycles, a pulse is produced on pin 3, which is heard in the speaker. How fast these cycles repeat depends on the voltage on the feedline. They will repeat several tens of times per second for single-digit power-levels, and many hundreds of times per second for powers of 1000 watts or more.

18 	ATOM 1000
									ATOM 1000 	1