From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2012 18:20:06 -0500
Darren, I've got a uv-5r, bought May this year! Read Buddy Brannons'
"eyes free" guide for more info!
For my money/sixtyfive dollars from importcommunications.com near
Charlotte, NC, cheaper other sites, the uv5R's the most blind friendly
unit I've experienced.  It has its' querks, and not all the menus
speak.  Cons, after you key in freqs which do speak as you're entering
them, they _don't speak when you want to check them.  However, once
you "memorize" a freq, its' memory number is spoken as you cycle
through the list of mems.
*For my money, the deciding factor is the fact that the PL or ctcss
tones are entered as follows, if you want to assign the tone 71.8 to
your repeater vfo, you simply turn the ctcss on,/menu 13, and to enter
the pl freq you simply enter 7 1 8.
*There can be some confusing features, in that the A B vfo selections
change via a button whose tone sounds the same whichever choice is
made.
It programs pretty straight forwardly from the keypad, but so far, I
know of no blind friendly programming software.
In terms of rx sensitivity, it's certainly on a par with or somewhat
better than competition.
I've had Yaesu 411,470, Icom T90, a number of older kenwood and icom
units, and well, I get four to five Noaa freqs on the stock baofeng
ant at this qth, whereas I've only gotten 1 to 2 with several t90s
with their stock antennas.
*I'd love to have cw or spoken read out of all freqs and everything
else, but for the money, and for the accessibility, I really like
mine.  They also are widebanded, both xmit and receive, for the full
vhf and uhf ranges, and the FM radio is pretty decent.
***Reflections are scattered, and your mileage may vary, as I say,
check buddy's info, also, the Baofeng uv-5r group is pretty useful!
HTH, Danny Dyer, Wb4idu.