From:
chuck lunkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:53:05 -0800
I have owned 3 sangean radios and 6 ge super radios.  I realise that much
of the preferences between the two is based on personal opinion.  I have
owned ge super radios for the last 25 years and the circuity has not
changed appreciably.  Why change something that is already good?  I have
taken apart the ge and examined the componets and have compared performance
and construction with the sangean cc radio.
1.  I prefer the fine direct tunning charactericts of the analog ge and it
is constructed with ganged capacitance tunning.  This affords great
selectivity.
     The cc radio is typical of most pll tunning recvrs.  The shut out
threshold tends to drop very weak stations.

2.  The price of the ge is a third of the cc radio.  When they advertise
the cc radio as much as they do it is built into the price.
3.  The ge does not have the feel or appearance of a slick modern rcvr, but
it is burly and durible.  The cc radio has problems in this respect.
4.  The built in ac conversion in the ge is so much more convinent than the
outboard adapter of the sangean.
     These are just a few of my observations for what they are worth.
Thanks Chuck, ki6hk