From:
martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2015 20:04:49 -0500
University Audio Visual Center and there were times when people
sent equipment in for repair and we missed the problem because we
couldn't duplicate it or thought we had fixed it when, in fact,
it was intermittent and we did something that should have fixed
the problem, it seemed to go away but we just got lucky and it
came back when the customer got it back.

	I'd first try to talk to somebody at the company, be very
nice and courteous but give a straight message that you sent it
in to be repaired and the problem persists. How do they plan to
resolve the problem?

	Most businesses want satisfied customers and you bought a
working product that no longer works. Think of the "Monty Python"
routine about the dead parrot.

	It's hard not to get mad when dealing with businesses at
times, but you want a whole version of your device back and they
want to stay in business so both of you have vested interests in
some kind of settlement.

	Be reasonable. Some electromechanical devices are
difficult to repair and, depending upon the problem, are cheaper
to replace than they are to repair.

	I don't know what this device looks like or does so I
can't get any more specific but do not ignore the bill and tell
them why you haven't and when you will pay it.

	Courts and lawyers are the very last resort because the
only certainty will be the expense and delay and you still may
end up with a broken Braille Sense Plus after all that.

	I once worked on a VCR tape transport mechanism we got in
to our shop. It had problems with the takeup tension and nothing
was adjustable so I cleaned it up, tested it on some test tapes
we had, and we gave it back to the customer.

	A few days later, it came right back in after having
eaten and ruined a rented movie. The customer didn't throw a fit,
but he sure wasn't happy and I couldn't blame him.

	We called the American representative of the company that
marketed the VCR here and explained to them what had happened.

	Later that day, a person from the company called back and
said, "We're going to make your day."

	Apparently, this was a problem known to the company and
they were going to pay for the ruined tape and buy the customer a
new machine that hopefully didn't have the problem.

	Everybody went home happy that day.

	Anyway, be nice but assertive and don't take no for an
answer. Sometimes, this is easier said than done but that's your
best recourse.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ