From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 07:04:50 -0400
Hi, all.

Well, I have an interesting little RFI problem here in the home shack that
I've been scratching my head over lately.

At the estate sale I've been talking about, I picked up a Realistic 32-2040
amplified speaker.  The speaker either runs on 6 C-cell batteries, or the
supplied 9-volt wallwart.

The speaker sounds terrific, with excellent quality  audio that I can adjust
in terms of tone and volume from the speaker itself.

However, when I transmit with my TS590, using my amplifier, I get lots of
RFI through the speaker itself.

I have tried RF chokes on both the Wallwart power cord, and the phono plug
connection between the Ts590 and the speaker itself, but no joy.

I have tried running the speaker just on batteries, but still get the RFI.

Obviously, this particular speaker is more susceptible to RFI than usual,
since I don't get the RFI at all when using other speakers such as my
Motorola amplified speaker or just a standard external speaker.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I might try?

I'd love to use the speaker since it sounds so good, but the RFI issue may
make that impractical in the long run.

73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ