From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:43:42 -0000
Yes, you can do that but the coax needs to be grounded at the shack end.

A general rule with antennas is get as much wire or aluminium as high as
possible.
A more or less horizontal antenna at low level will perform to some extent,
but I would expect high angle radiation.

By way of example of odd things, at my alternative location I used to use a
30 foot fibreglass telescopic pole on  a tripod with a wire taped to it, and
mounted on an earth stake.  This worked well, as you would imagine, on 40m.
One morning, I woke and heard my friend 9J2BO and gave him a shout.  We had
a 559 both ways contact for 20 minutes or so.

When my wife rose, she commented that the antenna had slipped down during
the night.
On examination, it was only about 9 feet tall, with the remaining wire
randomly strewn on the ground which was frosty.

You never really know what will happen until it does!

73

David W Wood

GUILDFORD PHYSIOTHERAPY AND SPORTS CLINIC
MATTHEWS HOUSE
85 EPSOM ROAD
GUILDFORD
SURREY GU1 3PA

T: 01483 575876 (APPOINTMENTS)
         302691 (ALL OTHER INQUIRIES/FAX)

E: [log in to unmask]
W: http://tinyurl.com/5wptcp

____________________

DISCLAIMER
The information contained in this e-mail is strictly confidential and is
intended solely for the individual/s to whom it is addressed. If you are not
the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error please delete
it immediately.  Any disclosure including but not withstanding reading
copying or distribution of all or part of the information contained herein
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  Although this email and any
attachments are believed to be free of any virus or any other defect which
might affect any computer or system on which they are received and/or opened
it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free
and no responsibility is accepted by The Guildford Physiotherapy and Sports
Clinic for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use
thereof.   Any opinions or advice contained in this email are not
necessarily those of The Guildford Physiotherapy and Sports Clinic or any
individual or individuals working or acting on its behalf.

Any prices shown are in pounds sterling and include VAT.
Delivery and Expense charges are excluded unless otherwise stated.