From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 2015 08:37:26 -0500
No, you will need external power for the tuner.  The connection to the
radio via the interface cable doesn't bring any power to the 998.    A
smaller tuner will get it's power there, but the  998 needs 1.5 amps,
and there isn't that much power on the molex connector on the radio,
so this wire isn't even connected in the 998.

You will either need a supply for the tuner, or do what many of us do
and power the tuner direct from the station's power supply.  The tuner
comes with a 12 vdc wired barrel connector wit bare wires at the other end..

When you do connect via the interface cable and have it properly
powered, and have the interface menu configured, you must always be sure
the tuner is powered up first before the radio is turned on, or the
radio won't recognize the tuner.

Have fun, Steve KW3A