From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:53:52 -0500
Hi Everyone,

Louis' antenna story reminds me of what happened about 30 years ago when I
was putting up a three element beam on the top of a 64 foot tower at my qth.
I was working on this project in the evening after I got home from work
while it was still light out and I wanted to get it done as I had a schedule
I wanted to keep in a few minutes.  I pulled up the beam and everything went
well until I tried to anchor the beam to the mast mounted on the rotator.
Every time I would try to insert the u bolts through the mast bracket, the
wind would blow and
miss align the holes.  The wind was not that heavy and there was no problem
because the beam was being held in position by a rope through a pulley and I
had a tower belt on.  But my neighbor thought that I must have been in
mortal danger.  She suddenly yelled,
"drop it, save yourself!".  Well, I started laughing so hard, that I almost
let go of the beam.  A couple of minutes later, I secured the beam and
finished taping the coax down and then came down to keep my schedule.

I did make one resolution after that incident, however.  Now, I do all of my
tower work after dark, I don't need daylight to work on antennas!
Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]