From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:51:11 -0600
binding posts are the type of connecters you see on the back of some home
stereo speakers...it has a large plastic nut that spins on a metal
post...you wrap the wire around the post under the nut and tighten the nut
back down...most modern binding posts have a hole through the center of the
metal contact post, near the bottom, that you can put the wire through for
better contact and to keep it attached better.
Most binding posts also have a banana plug jack on the top of the post where
you can push a smaller female post into the end of the binding post.
they're also called 5 way binding posts because they have up to 5 different
methods of attaching wires...you can also double or tripple up wires around
the post for multiple devices.
Usually the posts come in pairs, a posative and negative.  You can mount
them to something, and attach the feed wires to lugs on the under side of
the mounting plate or at the very bottom of the post itself.

Anderson power poles are basically double conducter connecters, that go
together...they can be pulled apart, and they can only go together one way,
so you can't reverse polarity or anything.
They are the standard connecters used for ARES and lots of other amateur
radio related situations.
regards
Colin