From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:54:57 -0400
Hi Colin.

It is indeed quite a production to assemble the GAP Titan.  Mine took most
of the day to assemble, but I didn't have that much trouble tuning it on 40
meters, nor did I experience the issue with coax lengths here.  I will say
that it is quite a monstrosity to keep in the air, so if you can't securely
mount it in concrete, I would strongly recommend some stout guy ropes as
the wind load on this antenna is significant.  I mounted mine on the GAP
Quick Tilt base in 320 pounds of concrete,on a 10 ft piece of mast, and so
far it has withstood the western New York winter winds.

One weak point with this antenna is that it uses a capacitor network under
the weather cap to make the antenna load on 80/75 meters, and this
capacitor load tends to fail if you get a nearby lightning strike.  I am
presently dealing with that situation--the antenna itself does not appear
to have been struck, but there was a largeenough induced voltage to short
the capacitor making the SWR on 75 meters about 5.8 to 1.  That's the only
really negative thing that I have to say about the antenna.  Otherwise, I
think you'll like the performance.  80 meters is the only band that I find
it doesn't do that great on, but then, I've yet to be that impressed with
anybody's vertical antenna on 80 meters.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 07:33 AM 8/15/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>ok, now that ive got all my eggs in a row?
>perhaps, all my brain cells functioning in a somewhat better manner then
>last night, i am actually looking for practical info on the gap titan
>vertical.
>I thought i saw on the list that someone out here was using that particular
>antenna.
>Its quite a thing to ship, so want to make sure i am getting something that
>will work for me...the points i like are that it requires no ground radials,
>works well between 40 and 10 meters and its only 25 feet tall.
>However, acording to  eham.net, it is a real bugger to try and put together
>and the tuning for 40 can be a little tricky.
>Also, coax lengths have to be adjusted to get reasonable SWR and it isn't
>supposed to be near other vertical metal objects...such as the 22 foot steel
>mast it will be about 15 feet away from when installed here.
>But, the deal is right so i think i will probably get it if the gentleman
>can find a way to ship it without breaking the bank for me hi hi.
>any info would be appreciated though.
>73
>Colin, V A6BKX

Louis Kim Kline