From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:30:31 -0700
I have always found the uniden trunking scanners to be fairly intuitive.
Unless something has drastically changed, it's generally a 3 or 4 step
process to set up a regular trunking system into the scanner manually.
Once you have the steps memorized or written down in an accessible format,
you can do it without sight easily.
There is also software and a frequency data bass (which you have to pay a
subscription fee for) that will automatically program all the frequencies
and systems for your area directly into the scanner from the PC.
check out:

www.blindcooltech.com

for podcasts on several different models of scanners and how they can be
used from a blind persons perspective.
They're usually made to be idiot proof to reduce tech support calls no
doubt, so that usually means they're slightly more accessible then other
things that require an engineering degree.
I have the old BC245 handheld and it is probably one of the easiest scanners
to program for trunking and conventional frequencies.

73
Colin, V A6BKX