From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 22:22:09 -0500
Of course.  We're so used to almost perfectly working electronic components
that rarely, if ever, fail.  In the days of discrete components, things
failed all the time, usually stuff like capacitors (which, incidentally, are
still the weakest link in any electronic device), or resistors which had
this nasty habit of changing value.  And don't forget good old tubes, which
had to be replaced on a regular basis.  Listen to some of the guys on AM,
and you'll know all about component failure.

Steve