From:
"Jim Kutsch, KY2D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:21:52 -0500
For what it's worth, I had a similar problem frequently in the 1960s. At the
time, I had a home brew  linear amp that had roller inductor. The wheel kept
falling off the wire that it rode on, especially if I wasn't careful and
turned the knob beyond the end of the inductor coil.

It was easy to fix without sight. I just had to open it and lift the little
wheel back, fitting the groove in the wheel  onto the wire. NOTE: be sure
power is off!

73,
Jim, KY2D