From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:44:10 -0600
Pat Byrne writes:
> The NPR article mentioned that as parts broke down, they were
> replaced with what was available and power was lowered over time.  I
> wonder if X E R F is still out there in a diminished way?

Yes, it sure is. I have stopped from time to time and listened
to them and they are definitely still on the air and using the
same call letters. The programming is all in Spanish and is
respectable now. There is music and talk shows in which people
do exactly the same kinds of things you hear on AM radio, the
world over. There are no more preachers in English selling
pictures of Jesus where the eyes glow in the dark.

	Today, there is no hint of how things used to be.
Occasionally, the announcer says that it is 50,000 watts, but it
is just your basic Spanish-language radio station at 1570 KHZ.