BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Flasar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 15:10:25 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  I just spoke with a friend with our local NFB chapter who, with others in
> our
>  area (San Diego), are very unhappy with the lack of and problems with
> reception
>  of the DVS Turner classic Movies. Cox Communications is the Cable company
> and
>  they are charging extra fees to get the group of channels that include
> Turner.
>  She was told first that Turner's system was "broken", now they are giving
> her
>  another "story" about it was THEIR SYSTEM but they have no way to check so
> they
>  can repair it and know that it is repaired. They also post numerous "public
>  service announcements" on some channels, but in a "PRINT ONLY FORMAT".
> Anyone
>  else having similar problems??  Any suggestions to get these "folks" at Cox
>  moving??  Anyone have FCC, Cox or Turner contact info??
>
>  Pete
>
>     Let's expand this.  What about the tiny print used in credit card
offers and terms.  There is NO WAY we can read those things unless they are
provided as an electronic document that is screenreadable.  Even if you have
a screen magnifier, it would take a long time to read those things.
   wouldn't this sort of thing be covered by the ADA?  I'm willing to take
this on as a project, but who can help me get a handle on the process of how
to get started with this?   From my own case, I get no help at all in getting
documents such as this available via email.  And I think it's a major assle
to have to scan these things in.
   Of course, we all know why these documents are presented this way - it is
to discourage consumers from reading the true terms of their financial
instruments.
  The visually impaired are not, in this case, being singled out - they don't
want ANYBODY to read their fine print.  so I guess we are not being
discriminated against in the sense that they are screwing everybody.   But it
is true that we simply can't read those documents whereas some oe with normal
eyesight can.
     Anybody have any ideas on how to start the all rolling on making terms
of contracts in any font smaller than 10 point illegal or perhaps require all
such documents to be available as a protected document (so that it oud not be
modified).

Dan Flasar