AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sarah Hamrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:35:31 -0400
I have a few concerns with the issue that has been raised here regarding
accessibility at the ALA Conference in Chicago.  First and foremost,
blaming "ALA" for accessibility issues isn't very helpful.  Linda,
you're off the hook since you're no longer a member, but I suspect many
subscribers to this list are still members, and WE are ALA.  If we think
something isn't right we need to work within the ALA system to get it
resolved.

Second, I've re-read ALA's policy #54.3.2 regarding library services for
people with disabilities, and it doesn't mention universal design or
universal accessibility for conferences.  It says "ALA Conference
Services Office... must make every effort to provide accessible
accommodations as requested by individuals with special needs..."  If we
aren't happy with that part of the policy, let's change it!

Third, ALA's Annual Conference is HUGE.  This year there were about
25,000 participants.  In recent years there have been more than 350
programs over 3-4 days at a typical conference (that's programs, not
meetings).  ALA's Conference Services staff is a pretty small group with
a very big job.  The reality of our world is that many conference
facilities are simply not as accessible as we would like.  Convention
centers are cavernous, and we often have to walk a long way to get from
one place to another.  Buses and bus transportation don't always work
very well.  Rooms don't have appropriate amplification.  Elevators
aren't convenient (if they are there at all) or don't work.  Bathrooms
are up a flight of stairs.  Public computers don't have assistive
technology.  Until we live in a world that is 100 accessible, there's
really no way ALA can put on a conference that is 100% accessible --
there are just too many of us!

I, for one, would much rather ALA staff use my money and focus their
time on providing appropriate accommodations for the people who really
need them (and make the conference 100% accessible for those individuals
who need it!) than give attention to making things accessible just in
case someone might have a need!

And while I'm on my soapbox, it really bugs me that the ALA
Accessibility policy says that "Conference programs and meetings
focusing on the needs of, services to, or of particular interest to
people with disabilities should have priority for central meeting
locations in the convention/conference center or official conference
hotels."  I wasn't thrilled with that statement when the policy was
written, and I'm still not.  I think it implies that we assume members
with disabilities are primarily interested in programs about services to
people with disabilities, and I hope that's not true!  I'll raise that
issue for the Accessibility Agenda meeting in San Antonio at Midwinter.

I'd love to see some discussion on this list about things WE can do to
make conference more accessible.  If it's really a problem, let's work
through the Accessibility Assembly and ALA Conference Services to make
something happen!

Sarah Hamrick

--
Sarah E. Hamrick
Director of Information Services

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<