AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:52:41 -0600
Dear Michael:

Please remember that there is great diversity among people with
hearing and/or vision differences, as there is among any other
group of people ...We all are unique individuals.

I suggest attending an assistive technology conference to take
part in the beautiful diversity of doing things differently and
to experience yourself the wonders of this high tech with the
highest human touch. And after all, from remote controls to
umbrellas to elevators and pocket calculators and cell phones,
and audiotapes in our cars, we all use assistive technology every
day.

Coming up soon on the East Coast is the Assistive Technology Industry
Association 2d World Conference in Orlando, FL, January 24-27,
2001.

See: http://www.atia.org/

On the West Coast, March 19-24, 2001 is the 16th Annual
California State University of Northridge Assistive Technology
Conference, the largest in the world.

See: http://www.csun.edu/cod/

At these eye-opening assistive technology (AT) conferences, you
will meet  designers, inventors, manufacturers, distributors, and
users - the experts in assistive technology from around the world.

There are other great AT conferences such as Closing the Gap in
Minnesota in October and the Rehabilitation Engineering and
Assistive Technology Society of North America [RESNA] Conference,
this year in Reno, Nevada, June 22-26, 2001.

Please see my Nov. 3rd talk at LITA for more on assistive
technology and accesibility:

http://twu.edu/~s_perlow/lita2000.html

Thank you for focusing  on a much-needed topic for research and
awareness.   A very happy and ACCESSIBLE holiday season.

Ellen Perlow
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Next Application Submission Deadline: March 1, 2001
ALA 2001 Scholarship Application page:
http://www.ala.org/work/awards/scholars.html
Have YOU recruited/applied to be a Century Scholarship applicant today?
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425438
Denton, TX 76204-5438
Tel.: 940-898-2622  Fax: 940-898-2611