AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Woody Anna Dresner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 09:05:01 -0600
Hi Jenny and all,

I haven't used the WE Media browser, but I did hear a demonstration of it
on ACB Radio last week.  I know nothing about its low vision capabilities,
but my impression for speech users was that though it might be useful to a
brand new Web surfer who couldn't afford a more sophisticated browser, it
would be inadequate for real Web access.  It seemed to be incredibly wordy,
not to allow line-by-line reading of Web pages, and not to tell the user
when links were being read unless the user made a list of links.  I don't
know whether it can handle pages with Java applets or not; this would
certainly be a concern.  So though it might be useful for low vision users,
it certainly doesn't look to me as though it would take the place of a
screen reader or a browser like Home Page Reader.  Of course, it might have
more capabilities than I know; a demonstration is by no means the same
thing as using the program for a period of time.  But those are my thoughts
based on what I saw.

Regards,
Anna