AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Senge, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:31:54 -0700
Axel,

My personal opinion is that e-reserve materials are a tremendous step forward in terms of accessibility but they need to be in accessible formats.  This would mean scanning, running OCR to convert them to text, and  then editing and proofreading them for format and accuracy.  This process should produce very clean and useable accessible e-reserve documents.  One of the biggest problems I've seen so far in this area is when libraries skip the clean-up step and just post the OCRed documents.  OCR just isn't sufficient to render accurate and usable e-reference documents without editing and proofreading.  So my opinion is yes, support e-reference documents but create the documents right and invest the time to clean them up before they go on-line.

Jeff Senge
Information & Computer Access Program Coordinator
California State University, Fullerton
(714) 278-7253