AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2011 10:50:01 -0700
>Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:41:04 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
>From: Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Online course: Web Accessibility for Online Learning
>Cc: "norm.coombs-gmail.com" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>A How-To Guide for Creating Accessible Content
>
>Universal design seeks to make online learning available and accessible
>for all types of learners. Online faculty and instructional designers
>often find themselves overwhelmed or too busy with their day-to-day
>responsibilities to fully appreciate and integrate the design principles
>and tools that can be used to make learning equitable, flexible, and adaptable.
>
>In this hands-on workshop you will discover how principles of Universal
>Design can help you create course content that can be accessed and used by
>anyone, including people with disabilities. By the end of this workshop,
>participants will have a good understanding of Universal Design Principles
>for Online Learning, potential accessibility/usability issues that need to
>be considered in course design, and how to create more accessible/usable
>course content. As the workshop focus will be on web accessibility,
>familiarity with an HTML authoring tool is desired but not required.
>The content will be delivered in an online asynchronous format using the
>Moodle LMS. While the content is asynchronous, we expect the students to
>closely follow the daily schedule of content. There will also be 3
>synchronous Webinars for members to attend. These will be recorded for
>those whose schedules prevent their attending.
>
>Objectives:
>Develop an understanding of Universal Design Principles for Online Learning.
>Understand how people with disabilities access the web and other formats.
>Develop an understanding of potential accessibility/usability issues that
>need to be considered in course design and instruction.
>Create more accessible/usable Microsoft Word documents.
>Create more accessible/usable HTML-based course content.
>
>Workshop Dates
>June 15 2011 - June 24 2011 (10 days)
>
>Notes
>This workshop is offered via Sloan Consortium and eligible for the Sloan-C
>Certificate Program.
>
>For more information visit:
><http://sloanconsortium.org/2011workshops>http://sloanconsortium.org/2011workshops
>To register for this workshop visit:
><http://sloanconsortium.org/workshop/june2011_web-accessibility-online-learning-how-guide-creating-acessible-content>http://sloanconsortium.org/workshop/june2011_web-accessibility-online-learning-how-guide-creating-acessible-content
>

>  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>Once you choose hope, anything's possible.  Christopher Reeve
>Norman Coombs [log in to unmask]
>
>Making Online Teaching Accessible: Inclusive Course Design for Students
>with Disabilities by Norman Coombs published by Jossey-Bass Oct 10,2010
> [...]

  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.  Christopher Reeve
Norman Coombs [log in to unmask]

Making Online Teaching Accessible: Inclusive Course Design for Students
with Disabilities by Norman Coombs published by Jossey-Bass Oct 10,2010
http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470499044.html

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<