AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ron Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:26:11 -0800
I would like to second Kelly's comments. When I accepted my current role at the
university a variety of adaptive technology had been purchased by an uniformed
predecessor. Fortunately I was able to return most of what was purchased, and
get the AT that my users wanted. The smaller units, up to the Braille Lite 19
from Blazie are really personal devices, and as such are not suitable for
institutional purchase.

The need for AT at a personal and a institutional level are very different. The
individual may want something that is easily portable, and suitable for quick
and easy use. On the other hand, the institutional person (ME), wants a piece of
equipment that maximizes flexibility, hence our purchase of an 80 column
display, and most recently one of the new ALVA 570 units. Risk management also
likes the larger units since they are much harder to walk away with.

Since we are now also checking out laptops to students for classroom use, we
will be picking up at least one 40 cell unit, which is the typical configuration
for the Professional who is a Braille users.

Ron Stewart