AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:01:33 -0600
Hi, all!

I'm wondering if I had a little bit to do with the two articles on assistive
technology  in _Computerworld_ that Jim Breene alerted us all to.
(Thanks, Jim!)  But that's not really the point of this message.

Last year I had some back and forth e-mail with Paul Gillin, the editor of
_Computerworld_, about accessibility of Web pages and other
concerns of people with disabilities, including learning disabilities.  I
urged him to put something in _Computerworld_ to help make IT people
and other technology decision-makers a little more aware of the
problems and impacts on people's lives.  He said he'd get some of his
people working on articles.  I'm hoping this will just be a beginning.

I'd like to suggest that we all e-mail Paul ([log in to unmask]) and tell
him how much it means to have articles like this in technology-oriented
publications read by so many people.  If he gets enough positive
feedback, it'll be more likely that we'll see more in the future.

I'd also urge  that we all commit ourselves to reaching out to at least one
publication and alert them to the needs of people with disabilities,
whether in the technology area or some other.  We need to do it
carefully and avoid hard-edged, strident approaches. But we might just
increase awareness a little faster than it would otherwise spread --
which we all know isn't very fast!

Any other, related ideas?

Audrey