AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:50:15 -0600
Thanks to Julie Klauber for alerting us to the request from the group
doing a database of Christian materials.  I'm posting my reply to them to
see if anyone else has anything to add.

I feel strongly that we all need to design for all people with disabilities,
and encourage others to do so as well.  Even better, I'd like us all to
simply take the approach of designing products and services that meet
the needs of whole communities and include the needs of people with
disabilities within them as a matter of course.  After all, how "universal"
and user-friendly are our services if we exclude whole groups of
people?  And how are we to overcome the tendency to "ghettoize"
disability services if we don't do so ourselves?

Anyway, here's my reply on the Christian database request:

Congratulations on reaching out to the library community to help you
with your efforts!  I can't help directly, but wondered if you had thought
to approach librarians at Christian colleges to see if they could help.
Even if they can't, they might have other useful suggestions for you.

I also wanted to urge you to expand your database beyond serving only
people who are blind.  While this is a laudable effort, it ignores millions of
other people with disabilities.

I want to mention one last thing.   You might want to look at information
technologies, both hardware and software, that are improving general
access to all kinds of databases on a personal computer.  Properly
designed databases and web sites, based on the principle of "universal
design," are made more accessible to a wider range of people this way.
 Go to the web sites of
1) Trace Research and Development Center (http://trace.wisc.edu
2) Equal Access to Software and Information, known as EASI
(http://www.isc.rit.edu/~easi
and
3) DO-IT at the University of Washington
(http://weber.u.washington.edu/~doit)

All the best with your efforts!